Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Reducing My Carbon Footprint

The little I can do to help save the Earth is better than nothing at all. The best way (translation: easiest) is to start with using energy efficient light bulbs. I actually use those although I'm not a big fan of the light they emit (not bright enough) but I guess a little sacrifice is ok if it helps the planet.

Another thing that can easily be done is turning off/unplugging appliances when not in use. This is actually a little tough for me. Not the appliance part since that I take care of. It's the light. I have it on all night long since I can't sleep with the light off. Not good, I know but I can't help it. A nightlight simply will not do. Sorry Earth...

Reducing laundry. This one's easy since I'm too lazy to do it. Lol. I only do laundry about once a month. Same goes for dry-cleaning. Dry cleaning is apparently not good but some of the stuff I have NEEDS to be dry cleaned. I am not about to waste the good money I spent on my clothes only to have them ruined by washing them wrong. Again, sorry Earth. I guess the best way to remedy this situation is to buy clothes that don't need to be dry cleaned or go to "Green" dry cleaners (and shell out $$$). I can probably do something about this one...

Some things that I absolutely don't think I can give up:
1.) My SUV - if you've been in a car accident, it's better to shell out the extra cash for gas than the feeling of being in a small car although I wouldn't mind public transit if it was as reliable/fast/clean as the ones in Hong Kong (best subway system EVER!)
2.) Meat - I refuse to give up meat! Well, at least for the time-being. I can reduce my consumption of meat but I don't think I can completely forego it.
3.) Flights - I love traveling too much and I haven't seen all of the world yet. I don't travel often (once or twice a year) so I don't think it's a big deal.

No comments: