Monday, July 28, 2008

Rock Sugar

Location: Century City Mall
Food: 2/5 - First Visit; 3/5 - Second Visit
Drinks: 4/5
Service: 3.5/5
Ambiance: 3.5/5
Price: $$$
Overall Experience: 3/5 - probably a smidge lower during my first visit

This new offering from the owners of The Cheesecake Factory offers Southeast Asian fare. Being from Southeast Asia, I decided to try it out. The first time around, I was seriously underwhelmed. The menu was pretty decent as far as TCF goes. Apparently it's family-style dining but their dishes are WAY too tiny to be family-style. It's like family-style if it's only you and one other person. My first time, we ordered Imperial Rolls that were WAY too salty, Chicken Lettuce Wraps that were way too bland, Singapore Omelette that tasted like paper, and Short Ribs (the highlight for me). After the meal, I wasn't satisfied but I decided to give it another try. I figure since they just opened about a month ago that they're still trying to work out some kinks.

I went again yesterday to treat my mom to a birthday dinner. We ordered the Chicken Samosas, Caramel Chicken and Short Ribs. If I hadn't ever tasted the Samosas from India's Sweet & Spices (best samosas EVER!), I would say that Rock Sugar's was decent. You get 4 medium-sized to a plate for $10. Not a great deal but then again it's a pretty shi-shi restaurant. The Caramel Chicken was crappy. I had a half a bite of one of the chicken morsels. Too dry. The Short Ribs was still as tender as I remembered; again, it was the highlight of our meal. We ended dinner with a trio of Creme Brulees (which were just ok). Overall, I'd say it's just mediocre. I'd still go back if not just for the drinks and to try some other stuff. What can I say, I'm a glutton for punishment. Hah.

1 comment:

karempot said...

for the love of food! Don't go back there!