Sunday, August 24, 2008

New Moon by Stephenie Meyer

Book 2...finished in about 6 hours. I have to say that Meyer's writing has slightly (very slightly) improved. I still have a problem with her central plot line. Most of the book seems dedicated to introducing werewolves into the mix but they had no significance whatsoever to the plot that drives this book. I fear that Meyer is so intent on drawing a picture of the world that Bella Swan lives in that she loses focus. She gets carried away in the intimate details of this world that most of the book, like Twilight, is just fluff. I guess I prefer my authors to be straight to the point...a little bit more concise and less verbose.

The other problem I had with New Moon (and I guess with Twilight as well), is that there's really no action. It feels anti-climactic to read vampire fiction without the gore and the guts. I guess that's just purely personal preference.

Am I masochist enough to endure a third book? Probably so. Curiousity gets the best of me. In the meantime, I think I'll enjoy one of my other books before I have to succumb to another disappointment.

No comments: