Friday, July 10, 2009

On writing...and other stuff

Do you sometimes feel like you have something to say but don't know how to quite say it? You know that knawing feeling deep in your system that you just don't know how to put it into words? It's frustrating. Which is why I envy writers.

I've always loved to write but I feel that I always fall short - short on creativity, short on imagination, short on words. Well, maybe not so short on creativity and imagination. It's the actual writing that throws me off. I have books and books of my ideas and once in a while, I'll actually start writing. But I never get past a few chapters. I always get lost and whatever I'm writing goes in a completely different direction from what I started with.

I wonder if it's because I've never really taken it seriously. I've never taken a writing course (except for the required writing class to graduate from college). I mean a creative writing class. I've never taken one of those. Also, I think it's because I take it a little too seriously. Apart from my blogs, I haven't written anything just for the heck of it. I probably should just practice. Practice, practice, practice. That's key, I think. I mean, you gotta start somewhere right? And I might as well put all the GRE words I've learned to good use. Lol.

Writing is also therapeutic for me. I always feel at peace when I'm trying to write something. It's probably because all my energy is focused on what I'm doing...so yeah, it's therapeutic. Which is ironic because it's also frustrating. It's frustrating when I know what I want but don't know how to begin. There are so many ideas that constantly run through my brain but to pick a starting point is hard. I also hate that I can't make decisions, which is probably why I can never get anything done and my stories always end up not finished - I can't decide which way I should take my story.

Ugh. Okay, rant over. Well, it was hardly a rant...

No comments: