Monday, January 5, 2009

Orris...01/04/09

Location: Sawtelle and La Grange
Food: 4.5/5
Drink: n/a (they do serve beer, wine and sake but I've never tried any)
Service: 5/5
Ambiance: Casual
Price: $$$
Overall: 4.5/5

Starting the new year off with good food is the best way to start anything. Having been deprived of food all day long, I dragged my Mom to Orris to watch me eat (she already ate). I think I've mentioned Orris before. It's one of my good old standbys for good food. They never fail to satisfy my somewhat discerning palate.

Since I was the only one eating, I decided to just keep it light and ONLY order 3 things. As always, I started off the meal with their best-selling Grilled Romaine. It's basically grilled romaine hearts drizzled with parmesan dressing and topped off with shaved parmesan. A little plate of vegetable heaven. The cheese can be a bit overwhelming but it's awesome if you're a cheese-love like me! My Mom tried a little bit (as she can't resist just watching me eat) and she loved it (of course). Next course was the Manila Clams in Sake Butter Broth with a side of sourdough bread. This was the first time I ordered this dish since I'm not big on clams.

I think I surprised myself with how much I liked this dish. I practically ate the whole thing and I even put a few empty shells on my mom's plate just so I don't seem like a pig. The broth was buttery good and the sake was subtle. Mmm, I want some more now.

Lastly, I can't leave Orris without my Filet Mignon and Rocquefort Butter. And as always, I pair it with the creamy Potato Dauphinois.

The bite-size filet portions are so perfectly cooked (and perfectly red and bloody on the inside) and a dip in the rocquefort butter all but screams perfection. As always, Orris does not disappoint. A perfect way to start the new year.

No comments: