Wednesday, January 28, 2009

WTH is wrong with me?

It's dineLA week and I kicked it off by taking my mom to Ruth's Chris for dinner last Monday. I was only too excited to go. Everyone knows that a good steak is my weakness and Ruth's Chris is in the upper echelon of steakhouses. Needless to say, I had high expectations.

I ordered a medium rare petit filet (not that petit at 8 oz.) and was expecting it to be mind-blowing. As I usually do with my steaks, I cut it open in the middle for a temp test. It was cooked perfectly so I was happy. Now came the weird part. I cut a piece and it tasted ok. Another piece and there was a weird taste to it. Halfway through my steak I was about to throw up. I gave the rest to my mom to take home while I sucked on lemons to get the taste from my mouth.

As we were waiting for dessert, I sat there and pondered why that happened? I had my mom taste my steak and she wasn't bothered by it. After a few minutes it occured to me that I hadn't had red meat in a while, maybe since the beginning of the year. A lot of people I know who have given up meat for a while have always complained about after taste when they start eating meat again. Mind you, I would never intentionally give up red meat. I've been eating a lot of fish lately and even chicken (I know, I'm shocked too). I can't explain why I haven't eaten meat since the beginning of the year and I can't explain what happened that night at Ruth's Chris. Although the next time I'm going for a steak dinner, I think I'll have a big, juicy hamburger the day before.

No comments: