Thursday, September 29, 2011

Sexy and I Know It

I had a conversation with Eddie (roommate) about insecurities.  Sure, once in a while I think about how I wish I were skinnier or taller or whatever it is I don't like about myself at the moment. These insecurities are mostly temporary and I usually only think about them when I'm not busy thinking about other things.  Some people, though, have deep-seated emotional insecurities that plague them most their lives.  These insecurities are what sparked the conversation Eddie and I had.

I have a friend who is smart, pretty and she has a lot going on in her life and it really boggles my mind when I think about how insecure she is.  I'm not really sure where her insecurities stem or if she's even aware of it - and that might be the saddest part.  I am not saying that I'm better than her in any way.  Like I said, she's pretty and she's smart but her insecurities are holding her back.  She can do so much more if she wasn't so self-limiting.  I guess that is the best description of insecurities - they are terribly self-limiting.

I am not saying I don't have insecurities.  As I mentioned earlier, I do. But, I am also aware that I have the power to direct my life in a direction that I feel best serves me (without hurting anyone, of course).  I am not a selfish person but once in a while, I do like to put myself ahead of others because I deserve it.  I guess I'm lucky that I have great self-awareness.  I'm a thinker so I like to take moments out of my day to dissect my life.  It's not easy.  In fact, it's easier said than done.  But only when we truly accept ourselves at our worst can we really appreciate all the great things in life that we have, at one point or another, taken for granted.  I may not be the smartest or the best looking girl in NYC, but I'm sexy and I know it (and I own it).



PS - I know the video/song is meant to be a parody of the LA lifestyle but I still love it (and I still love LA).  NYC needs to learn not to be too cynical/jaded and learn how to take things likely.  It's called a sense of humor people, look it up.

No comments: