Tuesday, November 22, 2011

11.34

I had a conversation with EV about my writing about a month back.  I asked him if I should write "fluff" as a way to exercise my writing muscles before I dive in to writing my book (the one I've been working on since forever).  What exactly is "fluff"?  You know, something light and funny, even a little mundane and ordinary.  His response?  That I am incapable of writing "fluff".  Not that I'm not funny or anything.  I have a very dry sense of humor (that some people don't appreciate or some people just don't get) which is very hard to translate into the written format.  It doesn't translate quite the same way.

Now back to exercising my writing muscles. EV thinks that I should start writing.  Now, that makes a lot of sense...BUT I am a perfectionist when it comes to the stuff I like to read.  I feel like I need to love my book before I can let anyone else read it and to do that I need to plan every single detail - make sure there are no holes or gaps in my story.  And therein lies my predicament.  I feel like if I can poke holes into my story, somebody else can as well and it will all fall apart and the research and the fine-tuning is driving me nuts!

Maybe I should just let it all go and just write like EV suggested.  Maybe everything will fall into place and I'll end up surprising myself.  Maybe...

Image

No comments: