Wednesday, October 5, 2011

11.25

I emailed a PCD at Cornell today and she replied with, "HR is aware of your application."  Not sure what to get from that.  It might mean, "yes we know you have applied for the position, so what?"  It could also mean, "we have notified HR of your interest and they have told us you have applied."  I could go on and on with analyzing (more like overanalyzing) her email but it comes down to me waiting for a call from HR - a call that may never come.

While I am waiting for that semi-dreaded phone call, I might as well work on my most reviled interview question: What are your strengths and weaknesses?  There is absolutely no right or wrong answer but what answer doesn't make me look like an asshole that's trying too hard?  That, ladies and gentlemen, is my homework this week.  For strengths, I've always gone with hard-working or willing to learn or fast learner.  All good things but I wish there was something that encompasses all of the above.  For weaknesses, well, that's where I always fumble.  I think I've had a different answer each time...all of which is complete crap - perfectionist, impatient, too focused, etc.  I try to tailor each answer to make sense with the position I've applied for but all of which comes off insincere.

Again, homework for this week is to work on my answers.  Hopefully, working on my answers means I get the job.  Or at least a phone call.


Image

No comments: